Sunday 15 March 2015

The Humble Tomato (once stuffed).




Marriages are made in Heaven. BUT Solemnized on the ground by elders of the family.
 
At 21, I was employed in Doordarshan Mumbai . The first day, the first shoot, and the first boy to look into my eyes and ask my name. "Maitra" as I then addressed him, my cameraman for the day.
A partner for life. It was a fairytale romance, love at first sight.
 
The day arrived months later when families met and my would be father-in-law Dr. Santosh Chandra Maitra
 
who came all the way from Dhanbad, Bihar, (now Jharkhand) to meet my parents and test my skills.
 
In Maharashtra there is an old practice  of  presenting the young/marriageable girl with a dish of "Kande Pohe", while both families assess one another's  status. This ceremony always irked me I was happy I had a love proposal and so with great enthusiasm I decided to cook Stuffed Tomatoes for Doctor sahab. I had come to know through Subir (that's his nickname, in Bengali dak naam), that they loved tomatoes and here in my mother  place, in Mumbai, we never touched tomatoes unless compulsorily required in a dish. Food served. Doctor sahab had one look at the plate and went for the stuffed tomato. As if on clue my mother blurted  "Yeh dish Alka ne banayi hai". I stood still my eyes to the ground . He called me by his side and asked me to recite the preparation of the dish. I was stunned . Like a nursery child who rattles his poem to the unknown Guest, I recited my recipe .
 
 
Ingredients:
 
4 large tomatoes, 8tbs grated cauliflower, 4 tbs boiled mashed potatoes, 2tbs tomato ketchup, 1tbs dhania powder, 1 tbs jeera powder, 1tsp ginger, and1tsp garlic paste, 1/2 tsp garam masala, 1tsp soya sauce, and 1tsp worcestershire sauce, 1tsp chilli powder and 2 cubes of cheese.
 
Method:
 
Scoop the tomatoes and brush them with oil.

 
 Rub a little salt and place them in a plate open side facing downwards for 10mins. In a pan heat 1tbs oil add the grated cauliflower and ginger-garlic paste and cook for a min. Add the masala and sauces and cook .Now mix the mashed potatoes and cool to room temperature.



Stuff the scooped tomatoes with filling.

Grate the cheese and cover the open space of tomato on top.
In a deep pan spread 1tsp oil and place the tomatoes. Cover with a lid and let them cook till the cheese melts.




You have an option to Grill them for 10 mins at 200 degrees. 
 




Did you like the recipe?  Doctor sahab did . He asked me to address him as BABA and a few months later I stepped into a new life as Mrs. Alka Maitra.

 
--------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment