Monday 16 March 2015

Dahi Vada

 
 
 
  
 

Dahi Vada .

 My families favorite dish . Once after seeing a TV cookery show I used butter biscuits to replace the original dal mixture . Could I fool my family by decorating it with the usual curd mixture and chutneys? The answer, a BIG NO. The reaction, from father and daughter, this dish to be banned in our home and only the original dahi vada  was welcome..

Today when I opened my urad dal jar I realized the quantity in the jar was not enough. Regular measurement 3parts Urad Dal 1part yellow moong dal. What do I do, postpone the dish to another day? Husband had already made the request. I took the risk 1 part urad dal, 1part yellow moong dal soak for 4 hrs. Grind to a coarse paste . To this add 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black salt, and 1/4tsp crushed black pepper. Just before frying add a pinch of soda bicarb, with your fingers stir the dal mixture  in circles so that it fluffs up  . With the help of a spoon make small dumplings and fry on medium heat till cooked but not brown. Remove on kitchen paper and soak in water for a minute

 
 
Remove from water and squeeze between your palms to remove excess water.
 
The Dahi :
 
In a bowl take 4cups dahi to this add 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black salt, 2 tsp roasted jeera powder and 1/2 tsp sugar beat the mixture .
 
 
 
Sweet Tamarind Chutney:
 
 


 
 
In a kadai boil 1/4cup tamarind, 1/2 cup dates, 2tbs crushed jaggery, 1tbs roasted jeera powder, 1tsp chilli powder and 1/2 tsp salt. Add 1/2 cup water and let it cook till it forms a pulpy mash, grind it in a mixer and strain it to get a thin flowing chutney.
 
The Assembling:
 
In a plate place the vadas. Pour the dahi mixture then pour the chutney with a spoon. Sprinkle roasted jeera powder, red chilli powder and some fnely chopped coriander leaves. Serve.
 
 
Note:
 
A Reminder the Dahi must be chilled.
This combination 1:1 dal, the vadas came out soft and fluffy.
 
 
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 









 

2 comments:

  1. Top post. I look forward to reading more. Cheers
    website

    ReplyDelete
  2. Useful information shared.. I got good information to read this article, thanks for giving us nice info. Fantastic walk-through. I appreciate this post. rice exporters from pakistan Hi there, I found your web site via Google while looking for a related topic, your website came up, it looks good. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks

    ReplyDelete