Friday 27 March 2015

Ambadichi Bhaji.

 



I was introduced to this vegetable 55 yrs ago, by my maternal grand mother, Late Ramabai Moreshwar Dabholkar. We lived in Bandra (W) with her . It was her house, her kingdom and she ruled it like a loving, gentle queen looking after her subjects, her children, their children, a few cats, a big dog, some chickens and their chicks.


When I say she looked after them she really did, fed all, nursed them when unwell animals included.
She had a peculiar habit, although she was answerable to none she would hide her favorite snack under the pallu of her nine yard saree and eat it at leisure, when she had completed her work for the day.This particular dish was consumed in the same manner. She loved it and cooked it in large quantities . Today, I can visualize her sitting on the kitchen steps overlooking the garden with a hot bhakri on her palm, this vegetable placed on it and she enjoying her meal. I would sit before her as she told me stories related to this dish. Every next day this cooked vegetable tastes better. You reheat it by heating oil to which you add crushed garlic and pour on the reheated vegetable. As I watched her and decided to imitate her I realized my palm was too small and the bhakri too warm.


Today as I cook this vegetable how do I explain to a cross section of readers what I am cooking, I did a little research and this is what I collected.



  • This plant is Internationally called Rosella.
  • Produced in Thailand and China.
  • Best in Sudan.
  • Important suppliers in world market Mexico, Egypt,Senegal,Tanzania, Mali and Jamaica.
  • In India cultivated in the Ganga Delta for vegetable fibers.
  • A Pro-health drink
  • In India it is known by different names:
  • Assam: Tengamora, Bengal: Chukor, Telangana: Gongura, Tamilnadu: Pulicha Keerai, Karnataka: Pundi, Maharashtra: Ambadi, Kerala: Mathipuli
Its also used for medicinal purpose.
 
Ingredients:
  • 1 bunch ambadi leaves pluck only the leaves for cooking wash and keep aside
  • 4 green chillies
  • 1 whole garlic
  • salt to taste
Method:

  • Boil the leaves in 2 liters of water, they will turn to a mehendi colour, strain and keep aside
  • In a mixer make a paste of the boiled leaves no water should go with the leaves
  • Crush garlic and green chillies
  • Heat 1/4 cup oil when hot, add the garlic, chilli crush and let the garlic brown, add the ambadi paste, salt to taste and stir fry the vegetable for a minute
  • Remove from fire.




 
Serve hot with Bhakri or Chapati.
 
 
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 



No comments:

Post a Comment