Friday 20 March 2015

Phool kopi'r Singhara (the favorite samosa with cauliflower stuffing)



As a Mumbai girl I grew up eating patti samosas and Punjabi samosas. Had no idea that there were any other variety. On my first visit to my in-laws place I was offered Phool Kopi'r Singhara, the samosa with a cauliflower stuffing. My mother-in-law was excellent at making this dish. She made it a point to teach her daughter-in- laws its preparation. 


As a tribute to my teacher, my mother-in-law, Late Mrs. Bina Maitra,

I am sharing this recipe with you and hope you take the effort to make it. 

Assure you, you will never eat another variety of Samosa.  


                                                


  


To this day, 40 years after my marriage whenever I visit Dhanbad my
younger sister-in-law Mrs. Kalpa Maitra makes it a point to feed us this 
homemade delicacy. Its loved by all the Maitras' and the Bengalis of 
Kolkata & West Bengal. Its a pity that there are barely a few 
shops left in Kolkata who make Phool Kopi'r Singhara.   



The Dough:

Take 500gms Maida in a bowl to this add 2tbs pure ghee and 1tsp salt with the help of your fingers crumble the dry mixture till it looks like crystalised dough. This process makes the Samosa covering crisp. Now add a little water and make a smooth dough. Cover the dough with muslin cloth and keep it aside, till the filling is ready,

Masala for Filling:  

Dry roast 2 tbs jeera, 1 tbs fennel seeds( saunf), 3 cloves, 1 inch cinnamon, 2 green cardomons and 2 badi elaichi. Cool and grind mixture. Grate 1 inch ginger, slice 2 green chillies, 1 tejpata,

Ingredients:

For stuffing,  500 gms cauliflower, 2 potatoes, slice cauliflower into thin slices. Do the same with potatoes.

Method:

Heat 2 tbs oil in a kadai, to this add the bay leaves, stir, add the sliced vegetables, grated ginger and salt to taste. Stir fry, cover and cook, do not add water, keep stirring from time to time. When the vegetables are cooked, add the chillies and powdered masala, mix, cook for a min. Remove from fire and cool to room temp.
Roll a small ball of the dough into an oblong chapati. Cut horizontally to make two pieces. Make a samosa cup and put the filling,

seal and fry in medium hot oil on a slow fire to a golden brown colour.

My mother-in-law served it with tomato sauce.
I serve it with a green chutney. Recipe below


Ingredients for Green Chutney:

1 bunch coriander leaves, 1/2 bunch mint leaves, 2 green chillies, 1/4 inch ginger,4 leaves palak and 3 tbs curds, salt to taste, grind to a paste. Add 1tbs lime juice, if you like it tangy . Chutney is ready to serve.

Enjoy a new snack and do share the recipe, if you like it. My family will be delighted.  




1 comment:

  1. One of my favourites, a snack that brings back memories of my childhood!

    ReplyDelete