Tuesday 24 March 2015

Nivte curry (Mudskipper)

 
 
 
My mother a vegetarian, would go to any lengths to find the non-veg food my father enjoyed.
I am talking of 1960s, then in Maharastrian homes the men never shopped groceries, vegetables or fish. Ladies never went to buy chicken or mutton, but both relished what the kitchen produced.
 
We lived in Bandra West . My mother worked as a teacher in a school in Grant Road.
On some days after school and some private tuitions, she would take the train to Borivali. It was then considered a long journey. On one such trips, I insisted on accompanying her. Relived that she agreed I boarded the Local with great excitement. The trains were not so crowded then . A window seat was easily available. I sat near the window . As stations whizzed pass, my mother gave a running commentary on the names of the stations and what each station was known for.
The last station was Borivali. As we stepped out of the station, I saw a row of Tongas.
We got into the Tonga. We had to visit my aunt first who lived in Borivali. My interest was the fish market. After tea and snacks we bid our aunt and cousins Good bye.
The Borivali fish market was just across the station.
The Fisherwomen in the market were shouting over their voices calling customers to buy their fresh catch "havar ye havar ye", come here they said in their language.
My mother was busy trying to locate some variety of fish. Then I did not know which.
The gleam in her eyes and the sprint in her steps made me feel she had spotted her catch.
 
 
I bent over the basket  as she haggled with the price, I saw for the first time, live fish wriggling in the basket. What is this I asked, "Nivte" my mother said and asked me to keep quite.
My bold mother struck the deal, packed the live fish in a steel box all the way to Bandra.
The procedure of cleaning was another story. My mother opened the box and some fish jumped out,
some were jumping all over the place. It was a game for my brother and me to catch them and put them back. The fish is slimy and easily slips out of your palm. Someone advised apply salt and keep them closed for a while, they will be less active .
Then I did not know my mothers recipe for this fish.
Today I know its English name "Mudskipper" and I shall share my recipe with you.
 
 
Ingredients:
 
  • Nivte 2 dozen (that's how its sold)
  • Half fresh coconut grated
  • 5 red kashmiri chillis soaked in warm water for 15mins
  • 1tbs triphal soaked in warm water for 15mins (the seeds of the triphal which look like peppercorns should be discarded only the outer petal is used.) 
  • 1 medium onion
  • 1 tsp red chilli powder
  • 1/2 tsp haldi powder
  • 1 tbs coriander seeds
  • 4to5 black pepper.
  • 1 tsp coriander leaves want the masala to stay red.
  • 4 kokum petals or 1tbs imli paste
 
Method:
  •  Grind to a fine paste all above ingredients except kokum and fish.
  • Apply a little haldi to the fish and marinate for 10mins.
  • Heat 3 tbs oil in a vessel, when hot add the masala paste and cook till oil separates.
  • Now add 2cups water or as much gravy as you need.
  • When it starts boiling, add salt to taste, add fish, and the kokum or imli cover on simmer till fish is cooked it will take 5mins.
 Note:
 
To clean fish cut head ,fins, tail, and clean the stomach portion. Wash carefully as these fish live in mud flaps. With all the trouble taken to buy this fish. Its a variety not found often in the market.
However they are a prized catch. Don't miss the opportunity. If you find them cook them, the taste will linger in your mouth.
 
Enjoy your fish curry with steamed rice, pickle and papad.
 
 
 
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment