Saturday 9 May 2015

Tomato Bharta


Tomato, a fruit or vegetable, whatever you call, it is not what I like and what I avoid cooking. In my maternal home tomatoes was never a part of our diet and none of the family members ever had a desire of eating it. Our non-veg recipes never included tomato. It was destiny that when my father-in-law came visiting us for the first time, I cooked stuffed tomatoes and he accepted me into the family. It is strange, today, I still have not accepted the vegetable but cook it in most of my recipes because my husband and kids love it. This then is Tomato Bharta for my husband who can chomp on raw tomatoes too.

Ingredients:
  • 3 large firm tomatoes.
  • 1 onion chopped fine.
  • 1 tbsp roasted and crushed peanuts.
  • 1 tsp coriander seed powder.
  • 1 tsp jeera powder.
  • 1/2 tsp haldi.
  • 1 tsp red chilli powder.
  • 2 tbsp chopped coriander seeds.
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds.
  • Few curry leaves.
  • 2 tbsp ghee.

Method :
  • Heat a pan, add ghee.
  • Add mustard seeds, when they splutter add curry leaves and chopped onions.
  • When the onions change color, add tomatoes cut into 1inch pieces.
  • Let the tomatoes cook for 5 mins.
  • Add the peanut powder, masalas and salt.
  • Add 1/4 cup water and cook till water evaporates.
  • Mix coriander leaves.
Serve with Paratha.


No comments:

Post a Comment