Friday 22 May 2015

Dhakku


This was my parents favorite dish. As a child I never asked my mother who taught her this dish or whether it was her own creation. The secret left with her, but I mastered the recipe when she was alive and my husband too likes this preparation of Bhindi. Oh I forgot to mention this is a Bhindi gravy. Bhindi is 
one vegetable that is unacceptable to many because they become slimy, sticky and gooey. This can be easily avoided using a souring agent like imli, amchur or kokam. I use kokam as it is easily available here. My mother often used
acchar masala in her recipes as she believed it gave a different tang. We enjoyed her dishes with the acchar masala. 

Ingredients: 
  • 200 gms bhindi, cut bhindi into 1/4 inch pieces.
  • 2 tbsp roasted peanuts.
  • 1 tbsp till.
  • 1 tbsp mustard seeds.
  • 1/4 tsp hing.
  • 1 tsp chilli powder.
  • 1/2 tsp haldi.
  • 1 tbsp acchar masala available in packets in market.
  • Salt to taste.
  • 4 kokam or 1 tbsp imli paste.
  • 1 tbsp jaggery.
Method :
  • Dry roast peanuts, till, mustard seeds and powder them with a pinch of salt as that takes away the bitterness of mustard.
  • Heat 2 tbsp oil when hot add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds and hing.
  • Now add the bhindi and stir fry for 5 mins.
  • Add the masalas red chilli powder, achhar masala, haldi and salt, remember you have added salt to the peanut mixture.
  • Add 1/2 cup water and kokum cover and cook till bhindi is tender.
  • Now add the peanut mixture and jaggery adjust the gravy to your choice.
  • Cook for 2 mins.
Serve with Rotis.



------------------------------------------------------------

1 comment:

  1. Its always good to learn tips like you share for blog posting. As I just started posting comments for blog and facing problem of lots of rejections. I think your suggestion would be helpful for me. I will let you know if its work for me too. srp best rice in Pakistan Wonderful great going, I love your work and look forward for more work from your side. I am a regular visitor of this site and by now have suggested many people.

    ReplyDelete