Thursday 7 May 2015

Shami Kebab


Its my younger daughter's birthday today. What do I cook to please her? You might think a mother should know what her child likes. Today Shoma is an adult, very conscious about her food intake. I am always monitored for the amount of oil, ghee and butter I add in my cooking. Its very good she is conscious, health is wealth. But that makes my job of cooking difficult because I go easy on the oil , butter and ghee.
That's just why I was in a dilemma what do I cook for her?


Let me first begin by making the birthday ritual "Payesh" , she enjoys it.


Kebabs have always been her favorite food and she has also mastered to cook them for the parties she holds for her friends and relatives.

Today I am cooking her and the family's favorite "Shammi Kebab"


Ingredients: 
  • 500 gms mutton kheema.
  • 2 tbsp channa dal.
  • 1 large onion grated or sliced.
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt.
  • 1/2 tsp red chilli powder.
  • 1/4tsp haldi.
  • 1 tsp crushed garlic.
  • 1 cup water
Method :
  • Put all the above ingredients in a cooker and pressure cook for 10mins.
  • Remove pressure and dry out all the liquid.
  • You must be careful to really dry it out or else the kebabs will split while frying.
  • To this mixture add 1tbsp each of green chillies chopped,chopped coriander leaves, and chopped ginger
Mix 1/4 tsp garam masala ( recipe below)
Grind the mixture in a food processor.
Add 1 egg and 1tbsp lime juice
Mix form Kebabs and deep fry
Please try out 1 kebab when frying to assure that the mix is proper and it does not split
Then fry the rest

Enjoy the kebeb with pudina chutney and onion salad.

Moghlai masala,  used for most Non-Veg dishes and in Kebabs.

Moglai Masala

  • 50gms coriander seeds.
  • 25gms jeera.

  • 25gms cinamom
  • 15gms black cardomons
  • 10gms cloves
  • 15gms black pepper

Method:

  • Slightly roast all separately in a pan iron pan prefered and grind together and store.







No comments:

Post a Comment