Tuesday 5 May 2015

Aloo Paratha



"Aloo Paratha" Punjab's favorite breakfast. Today this Paratha is cooked all over the country in different ways but the taste of Punjab is rarely found outside the State. What I have never liked is people cooking an aloo bhaji or subzi and stuffing it.
I have traveled North India on a few trips and I have enjoyed eating the Parathas on a cold wintery morning.
The smell of Ghee makes you hungry and the weather makes you consume quantities you thought you could never consume.
On One of our trips to the North India by car we stopped at a dhaba for breakfast. The owner, an old man was amused to see us with our two young girls traveling through Punjab. A friendly man, he struck a conversation with me. I must admit in my house when traveling my husband and daughters do not communicate with strangers and resent me from chatting with outsiders too. This old man was friendly and I participated in a chat with him telling him about our trip and our travel experiences. Just then the hot parathas were served.
I had the first bite and I needed the recipe of the paratha and the chutney. Maybe the expression on my face compelled my new friend to share his recipe which is quite  rare when someone sets shop.
But the kind soul sat next to us and this is what he shared.

Ingredients:


Stuffing:
  • 3 boiled potatoes.
  • 1 medium onion finely chopped.
  • 2 green chillies chopped.
  • 1/2 tsp red chilli powder.
  • 1tsp amchur powder.
  • 1tbsp roasted jeera powder.
  • 1tsp coriander seeds, 1tsp caraway seeds (shahjeera) crushed coarsly.
  • 3 tbsp chopped coriander  leaves.
  • 1 tbps finely chopped ginger.
  • 2 cups atta  knead into dough with 1/2 tsp salt.
  • Salt to taste for stuffing.
  • Ghee for roasting parathas.
Method : 
  • Mash the potato and mix all the ingredients except ghee.
  • Now take a ball of the atta stuff with the filling.
  • Roll into a paratha and roast on hot tava with pure ghee.
  • Use as little or more according to taste.
The Chutney:

  • 1 bunch mint leaves.
  • 1/2 bunch coriander leaves.
  • 2 spring onions or 1 small onion.
  • 1 medium tomato.
  • 1/2 tsp black salt.
  • 1 tsp amchur.
  • 1 tsp chat masala.
  • 2 green chillies.
  • 2 tbsp curds.
  • Grind the above ingredients to a fine paste and serve
Serve Parathas with white butter, chutney and a mixed pickle 

Enjoy with a glass of lassi. 


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment