Sunday 5 April 2015

The Easter Breakfast Pork Sausages with Baked Beans and Egg on Toast.



Easter Sunday. The day that heralds resurrection, new hope and the onset of spring.
As kids Easter meant we would receive Easter Eggs bought by my Mother. I guess it was the influence of the Catholic teachers her colleagues in school where she taught, or the influence of living in Bandra West for many years. She made it a practice to treat us to these Eggs. My brother and I waited for this all year. These Eggs were available only for a few days before Easter. As we grew up my mother kept this tradition alive by presenting them to her grand-children.

Memories of school days in the Convent, Good Friday, we always had a holiday but my friends would share with us The Hot Cross Bun a symbol of sharing and sealing our friendship. I enjoyed eating them with butter my brother ate them with jam. Today after so many years my husband walked in from the market and announced he had a surprise for me. Seeing the buns the first thought that came to my mind was the poem Hot Cross Buns and I actually sang it.



Easter means family lunches pork, chicken, fish, potatoes, the list is endless. Food is prepared a few days in advance so the meats are well marinated. Old family recipes are out. Children staying away from home for work return home to share the spirit of togetherness and happiness

My younger daughter Shoma, has married a Christian and they will have their own food specialities cooked by her loving mother-in-law.
I thought I shall put together some things she loves and which go with the food of Easter and make a breakfast for her.

Ingredients:

  • 6 pork sausages (those who dont consume pork can go for chicken sausages).
  • 1/2 tin of baked beans
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 onion
  • 1 capsicum
  • 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
  • 1 green chilli
  • salt to taste
  • 1/2 tsp pepper powder.
  • 1tsp oil 1tsp butter
  • Bread slices
  • 1 blanched tomato make puree
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1tsp finely chopped garlic
Method :
  •  Heat a pan 
  • Add oil and butter and the garlic
  • Add chopped onions and saute 
  • Add green chillies chopped and capsicum chopped fine also add the tomato puree
  • Add the sausages chopped in roundels add red chilli powder and saute
  • After 5 mins add the beans and a few spoons of water to cook the beans.
  • Adjust seasoning you might require sugar here depends on the brand of beans and your taste
  • Put off the flame
Now make an egg fry
Toast two slices of bread and apply butter.

Plating : 
  • Place the sausage bean mixture on the plate . 
  • Place the egg fry on it
  • On the outer circle line the bread toast .
Happy Easter Enjoy the Day !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment