Friday 3 April 2015

Mori Masala (Baby Shark)


 
I was visiting my school friend . The vacations had just started which meant we could play a little longer. Reading, swimming and gossiping was another pastime. Our group of 5 or 6 girls were chatting aloud. Aunty was in the kitchen and it was from here that the aroma of a well cooked dish wafted, my mind floated in that direction and unknowingly my steps guided me to the kitchen. Do you need water? Aunty asked while stirring the pot. No I said hesitantly, ashamed that I had entered their kitchen where I had no buisness to be. Aunty was confused what do you want then? I was restless that I could not tell her the truth. That the dish she was cooking had pulled me to the kitchen. Like every mother, she sensed my thoughts. I am cooking Mori (baby shark) today, would you like to stay for lunch? I smiled . No, Aunty, we have a lunch invitation I must rush home.
Once home, I told my mother about the Mori curry, but she being a vegetarian was reluctant to try cooking an unknown fish that to a Baby Shark. Yes baby shark sounds dangerous Many years later in my personal kitchen I decided to cook Mori.  Its a very tasty fish has many medicinal values. The important thing, when you buy it, get it cleaned from the fisherwoman. It is next to impossible to pull the outer skin, at home . Once cleaned and cut into pieces, cook it with masalas you use for mutton, the taste of this fish is close to that of mutton.

Ingredients:


  • 2 whole baby sharks cut into small cubes clean apply 1tsp haldi and keep aside.
  • 2 medium onions sliced
  • 1/2 dry coconut grated
  • 1 tsp dhania seeds
  • 1 tsp jeera
  • 1 tsp fennel
  • 4 cloves
  • 1 inch cinamon
  • 8 to 10 peppercorns
  • 2 tbs ginger garlic paste
  • 1tbs red chilli powder
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 tsp haldi
  • 3 petals kokum
  • 2 tbs coriander leaves chopped

Method:

  • Heat 1tsp oil in a kadai, add sliced onoin and fry till light brown
  • Add grated coconut and fry for a minute
  • Add coriander seeds, jeera and the garam masalas fry for a minute
  • Cool and make a fine paste
  • Heat 1tbs oil, when hot add the ginger garlic paste stir 
  • Add the fish pieces and the red chilli powder
  • Mix cover and cook for a minute.
  • Now add the masala paste and 1cup water or as much as you desire for gravy.
  • Add the kokum cover and cook for 7 to 8 mins check if fish is cooked
  • Add coriander leaves.
Serve with steamed rice or bhakri.







1 comment:

  1. I was searching the internet for best dishes that I could cook for my wife on our anniversary. I think I have found the dish I am going to cook. Because this Baby Shark dish looks really a different dish that must make my wife happy.

    ReplyDelete