Saturday 11 April 2015

Crab Masala



Crab meat is one of the tastiest meats. To get to that meat the person who cooks has to fight a battle with these aggressive monsters. The crab seller breaks the two big claws but the smaller ones are pretty active too.
To break the smaller claws is an operation by itself. Once I had the horrible experience of cleaning live crabs with all claws as the Fisherman landed on my doorstep with 2 dozen crabs and left the packet . Not knowing they were all alive and with even the big claws attached I faced an ordeal. I was bold enough to face the challenge. Fate had something in store for me, after successfully cleaning a dozen crabs, the landline phone rang and I was distracted. The huge crab pounced on my right palm and caught it. My palm was bleeding. There was a family gathering and all were busy chatting in the next room.  At first they did not hear my screams
and when they did come, the damage was complete. I was shaking my palm to get rid of the crab and the other members horrified, kept screamimg . All were scared none knew how to help. Then my fate intervened and the crab decided to leave my palm. My palm was in a bad shape for the next fortnight, but the pleasure of eating crab meat is so addictive that as soon as my palm healed, I went to the market to buy crabs.
Today I am more alert when I handle them and have also mastered the right techniques. So don't be affraid of crabs.  Enjoy them.

Ingredients:

  • 4 crabs.
  • 1 onion finely chopped.
  • 1 tbsp ginger, garlic, green chilli paste.
  • 2 tbsp Koli masala or red chilli powder.
  • 1 tsp haldi.
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • 1 tbs roasted dry coconut on gas flame
  • Boil the small crab legs with 1/2 cup water cool the grind and stain the liquid
  • 4 kokums
  • 3 tbs oil
  • salt to taste (be careful crabs are salty, so use minimum only for masala.
Method:
  • Heat oil, when hot add chopped onions and fry till brown.
  • Add the green paste ginger, garlic, green chillies.
  • When oil seperates add the red masala powder, haldi and crabs.
  • Now add the liquid from the legs and enough water, say 1 cup.
  • Let it boil for 7 mins.
  • When almost done, add garam masala, coconut paste and salt, cook for 2mins
  • Add kokum
  • Remove from flame and garnish with coriander leaves. 

Enjoy with steamed rice or rice bhakri.




------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment